Okay, first and foremost I am not sure why I am writing this. I was supposed to write something depressing, about hopelessness, loneliness, madness, bitterness and misery. But I have been affected… by AlDub.
Yes, AlDub. Somehow, it changed my life. I have now learned to love Mondays. I have learned to smile again. A far cry from where I was before. So, enough of all this. I have a reason why my title is the way it is.
Delayed gratification. Wikipedia says “Delayed gratification, or deferred gratification, is the ability to resist the temptation for an immediate reward and wait for a later reward. Generally, delayed gratification is associated with resisting a smaller but more immediate reward in order to receive a larger or more enduring reward later.”
Delayed gratification is not the suspension or stoppage of gratification but the postponement of it. Because you know that in the long run, you will more, much, much more of what you need and want.
I have to learn that the hard way. Again, enough of me.
AlDub. I was waiting for a bus to take me home from Buendia EDSA when this thought came to me, “What if Alden came just in time for Yaya Dub on her first wedding to Frankie? Ano’ng mga consequences nun? Ano’ng pro’s?” I myself got intrigued by my own question. Ano nga kaya?
I have (carefully) analyzed it while seated in the bus:
- Lola Nidora – first and foremost, she would become the “enemy of the state.” Yes, lalabas kasi syang masamang lola who hinders the happiness of others. We would have not learned and heard her precious Words of Wisdom about life, love and others. Wala sanang “Tamang Panahon” ngayon kasi all we would have wanted is for her to suffer. Malamang, marami pang sumpa.
- Frankie – of course, part of the Top 10 Most Hated people on earth, as long as AlDub Nation is concerned. That would be though to overcome.
- Alden – he would have ended up just acting and playing the part of AlDub. Just that. Acting. Making people feel the “kilig” and the shallowness of it. AlDub will soon be broken. He will just make the ladies feel “used”.
- Maine aka Yaya Dub – she might have been partnered with someone else by now. Wala na kasing kilig. She might have been bitter kasi Alden let her fall but was not there to catch her. She may not have lasted long.
- Kalyeserye as a whole – just a fab. Fans would have not have reached those records that we, as an AlDub Nation, would’ve attained. No 25.6 million tweets. This would have been just a waste of time and energy. Walang kwentang serye na sabi nga ng kapitbahay, “dumaan lang yan.” Walang saysay at just like the other series sa Pinas, baduy na after a month or so.
- AlDub Nation – san na tayo pupulutin? Sa kangkungan. Walang lessons learned, walang happiness, walang McDo na kilalang AlDub meal, walang TNT tvc, walang 555 Sardines, walang O+ — na lahat na-enjoy natin.
- Eat Bulaga – balik sa dati. Natatabunan na ng kapitbahay natin kasi may Pasta na sila eh.
Come to think of it, the time that Yaya Dub collapsed and Alden arriving some minutes later was a blessing a disguise. Alden was supposed to grab Yaya Dub at magtatanan na sila. What will that teach our kids? Na okay lang magtanan? That waiting for the right time is no longer warranted? That it is okay for our daughters to settle for a second-best man? I would have had my Unica Hija stopped watching Kalyeserye if that was the case.
By the way, the reason I attached God Gave Me You on the title is I firmly believe that God is writing their story. Imagine if Alden came to grab Yaya Dub. But no, God did not allow something so beautiful to end that way. It has to be grand. It has to be EPIC.
Alden has to learn. He had to be sure of his feelings. He has to cry. Learn that things are not just handed to him, that he has to earn them. Especially Maine’s heart. Hindi pwedeng hinog sa pilit. Hindi pwedeng madaliin ang lahat. Alden is now better from when I saw him before. Hindi na sya takot ilaglag. Nilaglag pa nga nya sarili nya sa Sunday PinaSaya eh. He has grown to be a man.
Maine also grew, and bloomed. She can now somehow control her feelings and her reactions whenever Alden is showing his dimples and all the fansigns. She is now more beautiful and more attractive. Masarap syang tingnan lalo, no malice. Do I need to say more?
I understand how delayed gratification makes one person feel. Deprived. But in the long run, it will be all worth it.
And as Maine once said, “after AlDub, it will be MaiDen.”